What Is Rockstar Expected to Do About the GTA 6 Leaks?
The GTA 6 leaks are real and spreading, and the most striking thing about Rockstar's response so far is how quiet it has been. Based on the company's playbook and the 2022 precedent, here is what Rockstar is actually expected to do next.

The GTA 6 leaks are real, spreading, and being amplified by a leaker who is threatening more. The most striking part of Rockstar's response so far is how little of one there has been. So what is Rockstar actually expected to do about it? Based on the company's known playbook and how it handled the 2022 leak, here is the likely path.
What it is already doing: takedowns and silence
Two things are happening right now. Take-Two is aggressively issuing DMCA takedowns against the footage across X, Reddit, and video hosts. And beyond those legal notices, neither Rockstar nor Take-Two has said a public word about the content of the leak.
That silence is not indecision, it is the strategy. Publicly reacting would amplify the leak, lend it legitimacy, and hand the leaker exactly the attention it is demanding. Saying nothing while quietly scrubbing the footage is the textbook corporate response to a leak you cannot un-happen.
What it is not expected to do: negotiate
CYBERLEEK's stated condition for stopping is a public apology and a change in policy on physical media and single-player. Rockstar and Take-Two are extremely unlikely to negotiate publicly with a leaker or meet demands made under threat.
The reason is simple beyond this one case: giving in would tell every future leaker that holding a game's footage hostage works. Expect no concessions, no apology, and no public acknowledgment of the demands.
The 2022 precedent: a brief statement, then legal pursuit
There is a clear template here. When GTA 6 was hit by a major leak in 2022, Rockstar issued a short statement confirming a network intrusion, said it did not expect the incident to disrupt development, and expressed disappointment at the leak. Then it pursued the matter hard. The hacker responsible, Arion Kurtaj, was arrested and convicted.
Expect a version of that pattern again: possibly a brief, measured acknowledgment at some point, and near-certain continued legal action. As we noted in our look at the DMCA response, legal consequences very likely await whoever is behind this.
Will it move up the Extended Look?
Some fans are speculating that Rockstar could pull its August 27 reveal forward to overwrite the leaks with clean, current footage. There is no indication that it will. Rockstar rarely reshuffles its schedule in reaction to leaks, and the Netflix partnership plus a locked production timeline make a sudden move unlikely. Expect the Extended Look to hold on August 27, which will do the job of resetting the narrative anyway.
Will the launch be affected?
No. November 19 remains set. Years-old leaked footage does not change the release date of a near-final game, and Take-Two reaffirmed its full-year outlook, which is built around that launch, on its recent earnings call. Expect no delay.
The likely playbook, in short
Putting it together, Rockstar's expected response looks like this:
- Keep issuing DMCA takedowns aggressively.
- Stay mostly silent, with at most a brief statement.
- Refuse to negotiate with or acknowledge the leaker's demands.
- Pursue the leaker legally.
- Hold the August 27 reveal and the November 19 launch date.
- Let the official, polished footage overwrite the leaks in the public mind.
The bottom line
Rockstar's expected move is, essentially, to outlast this: take the clips down, say little, give the leaker nothing, and let the August 27 Extended Look reset the conversation with the real thing. The leaks are a headache, not a crisis, and everything about Rockstar's history suggests it will treat them exactly that way.
Sources
- Engadget — GTA 6 gameplay leaked ahead of its new trailer, and Rockstar is taking down the videos
- GamingBible — GTA 6 full map and gameplay leaks online in protest
- Kotaku — Rockstar Games still silent as even more GTA 6 gameplay leaks
- Insider Gaming — GTA 6 leaker threatens Rockstar and other major publishers with further action



